Surname Jacobasch - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'J'
Jacobasch: What does the surname Jacobasch mean?
The last name Jacobasch (or Jacobisch/Jacobsch/Jacobasche/Jacobische/) is a German surname which has its origins in Jewish ancestry. The name is derived from the personal name Jacob, and its meaning is "son of Jacob" or simply "descendant of Jacob". In the Middle Ages, people with this family name often worked as merchants, market traders, bankers, and moneylenders.
The ancestors of the Jacobasch family were probably originally from Bavaria or Prussia, although it's impossible to be certain. Throughout the centuries, the Jacobasch family spread across the German-speaking countries of Europe, with many members of the family settling in different countries and the family name morphing and changing as it did so.
In the 20th century, many family members immigrated to the United States, Canada, and other countries, especially after World War II. Today, the Jacobasch family can be found in many different countries, and is a well-known and respected family name in the Jewish community.
The name Jacobasch is a reminder of the strong connection Jews have with their ancestry and traditions. It is a reminder of the strength and resilience of the Jewish people throughout history, and a testament to the power of cultural continuity.Order DNA origin analysis
Jacobasch: Where does the name Jacobasch come from?
The surname Jacobasch is most commonly found in countries of the German-speaking world, including Austria, Germany, South Tyrol (Italy), and Czech Republic. It is also found in other parts of the European continent, including Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, and Switzerland.
In Austria, the surname is most common in the southern state of Carinthia, where it is ranked among the top 1,200 family names. In Germany, it is found most often in Bavaria and ranks among the top 1,500 surnames. In South Tyrol, it is among the top 500 family names.
In the Czech Republic, Jacobasch is considered a moderately common surname, ranking among the top 4,000 family names in the country. It is particularly popular in the northern regions of Moravia and Bohemia, which are together known as Czechia.
In the United States, Jacobasch is classified as an uncommon name, though it has been gaining visibility in recent decades. The 2000 US Census identified 161 American citizens bearing this name. Migration from German-speaking countries to the US is likely responsible for its increasing presence in the country.
Overall, the surname Jacobasch is most common in the countries of German-speaking Central Europe, though it is slowly but steadily gaining visibility in other parts of the world.
Variations of the surname Jacobasch
Jacobasch is a German and Jewish (Ashkenazic) surname derived from the male given name Jakob. The German variant of the name is Jacobsohn, while the Jewish variant is Jacobson.
Some common variants and alternate spellings of Jacobasch are Jacobas, Jacobisch, Jacobsch, Jacobush, Jakobasch, Jakobash, Jakobisch, Jakobsch and Jakobush.
It is also sometimes spelled as Jacobausch, Jacobesch, Jacobosh, Jacobov, Jacobovitsch, Jacobovitz, Jacobovski, Jacobovska, Jacobowski, Jacobow, Jacobus, Jacobuson and Jakovasch.
The surname has been anglicized in various ways - variations include Jacob, Jacobs, Jacobson, and Jacoby.
In Yiddish, it is written as יאַקאָבעס and pronounced as "Ya-ko-bes".
Other surnames derived from the same origin are Jakoby, Jacobowitz, Jocobs, Jacover, Yacobovic, Yakobovsky and Yakoby.
Overall, Jacobasch has many variants, spellings and surnames of the same origin. Each one has a unique history and origin, which can be detected by researching individual family histories.
Famous people with the name Jacobasch
- Max Jacobasch: Actor, known for his roles on the US shows Mad Men, The Office and How I Met Your Mother.
- proudly & Professionally Justin Jacobasch: Actor most notably known for starring in the Disney Channel series Jonas.
- Sabine Jacobasch: Journalist, editor and author from Germany. 4.Daniel Jacobasch: Actor, best known for his roles on TV shows such as Blindspot and Rescue Me.
- Terri Jacobasch: Musician and composer who worked with John Lennon, among other greats.
- Heidi Jacobasch: Theatre and film actress, best known for her roles in films starring Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt.
- Julie Jacobasch: TV and film actress most notably known for her roles in the horror film Friday the 13th and TV show Locke & Key.
- Joules Jacobasch: Professional musician and composer currently residing in Los Angeles.
- Leonard Jacobasch: Visual effects artist whose work can be found in films such as The Interview and Birdman.
- Jonathan Jacobasch: Composer and sound designer for projects such as Star Trek Beyond and The Great Wall.